Sunday, January 6, 2013

My 2012 Reading list

I thought I'd post a quick summary of my 2012 reading.  Some of it has been discussed on this blog already, others are in the planning

Programming in Python 3 : a complete introduction to the Python language
Mark Summerfield
ISBN: 0-321-68056-1
Publisher: Addison-Wesley
I'll need to upgrade my Python installation at some point. Fortunately, it looks like the changes are not too severe.

A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing
Lawrence M. Krauss, Richard Dawkins
ISBN: 145162445X
Publisher: Free Press
I've written a review of this book here.

A Princess of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Publisher: Nelson Doubleday, Inc.
I re-read this book due to the John Carter movie coming out (Wikipedia). I've still not seen the movie!

Henry Norris Russell
David H. DeVorkin
ISBN: 0691049181
Publisher: Princeton University Press
A very good history of astronomy in the United States in the early 1900s, centered around the astronomer Henry Russell (wikipedia) whose discoveries established much of our modern observational understanding about stars.

Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown
Michael Shermer
ISBN: 0805077081
Publisher: Times Books

Story of Mathematics 
Ian Stewart
ISBN: 1847240178
Publisher: Quercus Books
A general audience book describing the development of mathematics and its importance in our modern society.

Steve Jobs 
Walter Isaacson
ISBN: 1451648537
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Avis Lang
ISBN: 0393082105
Publisher: W. W. Norton Company
This book is a collection of essays by Dr. Tyson covering many topics related to space and space exploration.  Dr. Tyson is about my age, so many of his recollections about the early history of manned space flight brought back a lot of memories.

Seeing Red: Redshifts, Cosmology and Academic Science
Halton C. Arp
ISBN: 0968368905
Publisher: C. Roy Keys Inc 
I've been exploring this book pretty heavily during my hiatus.  I expect to post a review in the near future, and a series of articles about the things Dr. Arp DOES NOT TELL READERS.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
A. Square (Edwin A. Abbott)
I've never read this before but it was an interesting read (Wikipedia article)

No comments:

So...What Happened?

Wow.  It's been over eight years since I last posted here... When I stepped back in August 2015,...